I don’t even know his name. But I know! I know that he’s stopped selling suya wrapped in old newspaper like all others have done. I know that he’s started using foil paper. Even his suya grill station now has a glass display where you can pick the suya you want. The split glass compartment has a stash of onions he will pick from. No tomato compartment this time. He probably won’t buy tomatoes because tomatoes are now expensive. The guy at Ikeja-Underbridge.
Efunsola introduced me to the suya spot on Glover in Ikoyi. They make the ‘juciest’ suya. First day there and I was addicted. No wonder the other night I saw about 20 cars parked on the street just to buy this grilled, peppered red meat. But memories of my last suya bite now haunt me.
They say if you want to switch to a vegetarian lifestyle, you need to plan. So I went to the Sunday Market to buy loads of vegetables. This was day 4. Vegetables always looked colorful to me. But the meat stalls were more colorful. Each bloodied table of meat held a promise for my palate. I had eaten meat and animal produce for 30 years of my life. My urges weren’t having it.
It’s been 9 days now. I have played around with many meal alternatives. I have gone to every Nigerian vegetarian food website. I have even gone to the hospital to check my cholesterol level, my blood pressure etc. There are all these reasons why some people are vegan or vegetarian. My thoughts haven’t changed. Ozoz sent me a link to an article she wrote 4 years ago and I’m still hardened.
- They say I will spare animals. I don’t think I’m enough-vegetarians to cause a revolution for animals killed for food. I love animals but I don’t feel remorseful about animals that have to be sacrificed for this bloody diet.
- They say I will have more energy. I don’t feel it. I only feel very hungry.
- They say my plate will be colorful. Yes they are colorful. I just miss eating chicken.
- They say it will keep my weight down. I work out every day. I have been working out every day in the last 3 months. I don’t think not having a touch of animal in my food would suddenly cause a change.
- They say it will ward off disease. So will other alternative lifestyles and good sleep.
I have about 21 days left for this HighLifer.co challenge. I am not sure anything will change but if it does, it’s likely the most I will be is a weekday vegetarian like Graham Hill. I’m leaving situations open. But I’m leaving open the possibility of a suya party on Friday, 1st of July, 2016.
All the best with you vegetarian adventure…you might like and never eat meat again or be like me and forever crave animal till death do you path.
All I can say is, I’m so looking forward to July 1, 2016. Keep us posted.